There is no use denying the truth, I was a picky eater growing up, so picky in fact I didn’t touch a piece of lettuce until I was well into college. I remember thinking how wonderful and refreshing salads looked on a hot summer day, especially those crunchy salads covered with croutons and Parmesan cheese! But even still, I could not get myself to like the texture of what I considered to be ‘weeds’ at that time.
It took trying a light green salad tossed in an amazing ginger dressing at the ripe age of 20, to help bring out my inner herbivore! And since that special day I have been in love with greens! From romaine, to spinach and every green in between, I love eating and making salads!
We all know that to have a solid salad, you need a solid dressing. Store bought dressings tend to be high in fat and sodium and never seem to taste as good as the home-made versions. I have always been partial to the sweet, tangy and salty dressing combinations, and that is where the idea for my very secret salad dressing came from.
The salad itself is pretty basic, calling for whatever ingredients your heart desires, but here is my version of both the salad and the dressing below!
~ A Simply Satisfying Spinach Salad ~
- 4 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 large avocado cubed
- Half a green apple, thinly sliced
- Salted walnuts – A handful or so (optional).
- 10 shaves of Parmesan cheese or parmesan curls ( I use a potato peeler for this)
- 1 tablespoon of rich honey
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic power
- dash of sea salt
- 4 grinds of black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil – roughly 1/4 cup